Kevin Spacey returns to court on Thursday

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter

Print
[ad_1]

Image Source: NBC News

On Thursday, as jury selection in a civil lawsuit brought by actor Anthony Rapp gets underway, Kevin Spacey returned to a different courtroom.

Rapp, best known for his part in “Star Trek: Discovery,” filed a lawsuit against Spacey in 2020 for violence, assault, and willfully causing emotional distress.

In 2017, Rapp made his first public allegation that Spacey had approached him inappropriately in 1986 when he was 14 and they were both appearing in Broadway productions.

The lawsuit claims that Spacey touched Rapp’s buttocks and put his body partially on top of Rapp’s while the teen was lying on a bed.

Shortly after Rapp’s confession, Spacey tweeted that he was “beyond horrified to hear his tale” and claimed not to recall the encounter. Spacey then issued a public apology.

A spokesperson for Spacey, Chase Scolnick, told CNN that he believes Spacey will win his case at trial.

Lewis Kaplan, a US District Judge, will preside over the trial.

Less than three months have passed since Mr. Spacey appeared in a UK court to “strenuously” refute new allegations of sexual assault that date back 17 years.

At London’s Old Bailey on July 14, he refuted five accusations involving three males who are now in their 30s and 40s.

The alleged crimes are claimed to have occured between 2005 and 2013, while Mr. Spacey served as creative director at The Old Vic theater in London and Gloucestershire.

Mr. Justice Wall scheduled a three- to four-week trial beginning on June 6 of next year, with an additional hearing scheduled for earlier in 2023.

Stories regarding Spacey’s alleged inappropriate behavior started to emerge in 2017 as the Me Too movement started to give sexual misconduct survivors the confidence to speak out publicly about accusations of abuse by influential persons.

A Massachusetts guy claimed that while he was an 18-year-old busboy at a Nantucket restaurant, Spacey molested him. According to a criminal complaint, the busboy told police that Spacey had bought him several alcoholic beverages, unzipped the accuser’s pants, and spent about three minutes rubbing his penis inside and outside of his pants.

Prosecutors subsequently abandoned the criminal case against Spacey when the complainant pleaded the fifth on the witness stand after being questioned about his missing smartphone and about whether he destroyed text messages.

In addition to the Manhattan civil trial, Spacey now faces criminal allegations in England.

Spacey was charged with four counts charge of sexual assault against three men and one count of inducing to engage in penetrative sexual behavior without consent by Britain’s Crown Prosecuting Service in May.

The allegations relate to two alleged events in London in 2005, another two in 2008, and the fifth incident in Gloucestershire, western England, in 2013. The accused victim of the 2005 assaults is now in his 40s, while the two individuals allegedly involved in the incidents from 2008 and 2013 are now in their 30s, London’s Metropolitan Police said.

Spacey has pleaded not guilty to the accusations.

Spacey’s career crashes

Shortly after a CNN investigation in 2017 revealed many current and former members of the production team of the Netflix series “House of Cards” reported Spacey harassed them, Netflix broke ties with the actor.

In a video he shared on Twitter in December 2018, Spacey spoke as his “House of Cards” character Frank Underwood. After Spacey was ousted from the show, the character was killed off.

Read Also: UK seeks return of Kevin Spacey from US to face sexual assault charges 

Almost $31 million was ordered paid by Spacey to the show’s production company, Media Rights Capital, last year.

His first project after the accusations broke in 2017 is the Italian movie “The Man Who Drew God,” which is presently in post-production, according to IMDb.